Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My time in Colorado (Part 3)


The Parelli Center is really a magical place. All of the warmth, support, positive and proactive thinking where everyone is linked by a common interest. Theres so much to be learned there and every instructor is truly there to help you. If an instructor shows you something to do and you ask them "Why?" the answer is never "Because I said so" or "That's just how its always been done." The answers can always be explained with good reasoning behind it. There were so many people who helped me while I was there. John Baar was our course leader - learned so much with him. Pat and Linda Parelli talked to the class while we were there. One of the Interns, Molly Sanders, was extremely positive and helped keep my spirits up. There are many others, too many to name off, but one of the most influential people I was blessed to be taught by was Rob McAuliffe.
     Not everyone was at the same level on the course, so the class was separated when it came to horseback. Majority of the class rode together in the big arena with John Baar, while those who were not quite prepared stayed in another arena instructed by Rob. Robs class size varied little, but there was consistently six students in his class that included My mother, myself, Sandy Bauguss, Mary Anna Conti, Juliette Watt, and another rider whom I believe her name was Christina (although I could be wrong). Due to the small class size, our group of six had more one on one time with Rob than the main group had with their instructor, John. Later I had students from the larger group come to me and tell me how they wished they were in our group instead. They wished they had more personal one on one time like our group.
Rob enjoy coffee so he has energy to scold his class
       Rob had his own sense of humor and his to-the-point threats always made class amusing. We will always remember when Juliette kept using her reins when instructed not to, and hearing Rob threaten "Drop the reins or I'll cut your bloody hands off!" Ever had an Aussie threaten you? We have! Several times. Johns class would over hear the threats too.. we always had a few people look over when Rob started scolding us.
      Rob was the teacher that I always wish I had growing up. Hes good at teaching. He gave me so many strategies and exercises to do to help Major and I. He gave me encouragement when I needed it and he pushed me out of my comfort zone when he knew I was ready and to progress. I trusted him even when I did not trust myself and the result I got was more than I could ever hope for. I don't think I could have progressed as much as I did without him to show me the way. Rob even hiked all the way up to my camper (which is a long walk uphill) after a class to talk to me when I was feeling really down.
Everyone had personalized certificates. Robs six got these :)
     By the end of the course Major had become a new horse or I should say my "old horse" again. I didn't get the information I thought I was going to get at the campus, but something a whole lot more valuable. I have strategies, knowledge, and new found confidence to help me continue when I returned  home. At the end of the course we had a private talk with our instructors to show us our progress since when we first arrived there. Mine was with Rob and he asked me "If you had to describe your four week experience here on the campus in one word, what word would it be?" I can't even describe my whole experience in a 3 page on-going blog, much less than one word. I thought about it and my answer? "Empowerment."

(I could go on for pages and pages about my experience at the center. This blog is a very small glimpse into my experience and I admit is not super organized. I may write a more in depth look on my experience somewhere else where its more organized and detailed - rather than thoughts that occur to me as im writing and loosely stringed together)

No comments:

Post a Comment